Here I am taking another stab at writing another blog....and hopefully keeping up with it. Recently this past year I finally decided to take up running. OK, OK.....jogging. Either way, I was losing weight and feeling good. I had done my first 5k race in April for "Cure for Breast Cancer" in Washington, DC. I was pretty nervous. My husband and I got a babysitter early that morning so that I could make the race so we didn't have to get our son up. I did OK for my first race. 45 minutes and 16 secs. Quite a an accomplishment for someone who doesn't like to have to work at things. So after that, I decided to do my next race. The Marine Corps Marathons 10K. I was psyched to do that. I had quite a few months to prepare, but still nervous and probably always will be. Someone at my gym that I knew asked me what my goal was for the time I wanted to finish and all I said was, "I just want to finish." He told me I should shoot for 1 hour. That I could do it. As time went in the next few months, I would go jogging around the neighborhood more and my time was getting better, but still steady.
For some reason I just got lazy in July and didn't jog. Don't know why. Just did. So I only went jogging a few times towards the very end. But then something happened that John and I didn't expect or see coming. We became pregnant again! We never thought we would actually have another baby.
And so it goes.....when you least expect it.....something happens in your life that puts other things on hold, such as my jogging. Don't get me wrong. We have been blessed.....but we honestly didn't see this coming our way. :o) But next year, I will be ready for the Marine Corps Marathons 10K with other runs under my belt after the baby is born. I'll be slim, trim and ready to win!
BTW, one of the greatest things about my first race. John asked me what my time is usually for a 2 mile jog. I said very confidently, "30 minutes" (which of course was very hard for me at the beginning). He said OK. When I was running and reaching my 2nd mile, my husband jumps out of the crowd and has his camera cell phone and video tapes me. I about busted up laughing. Then he ran further down and took a picture of me. He's there with my water bottle or leading my way to finish my jog and keeping my time. I would say he has to be my biggest fan. :o) (I did go get my shirt, bib number and chip number to remind me that I will be running it next year!)
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Best of luck to you as a blogger and a jogger (sounds like you have the family thing taken care of rather nicely!).
Good luck on the new blog. I hear you on the running/jogging thing. I did really good for 6 months then started slacking. After gaining all my lost pounds back I've just now started up again.
Post a Comment